Recipe Link : http://www.tarladalal.com/Rose-Cookies-Achappam-36061r
Subscribe : http://goo.gl/omhUio
Tarla Dalal App: http://www.tarladalal.com/free-recipe-app.aspx
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TarlaDalalsKitchen/featured
Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/107883620848727803776
Rose Cookies, Achappam
Rose Cookies are not cookies in the real sense, but are so called because they look like dainty roses. This traditional snack is believed to be of Anglo-Indian origin, and is made commonly during Christmas time.
It is made by coating a cinnamon-flavoured, mildly-sweet plain flour batter on a rose-shaped mould and deep-frying till crisp. The cookies are then dusted with powdered sugar, which gives them an additional appeal, both in terms of appearance and taste. These Rose Cookies can also be stored in an airtight container but make sure you cool them completely before storing, and do not sprinkle sugar till the time of serving, because if you sprinkle sugar and store, it will release water and make the cookies soggy.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 50 minutes.
Makes 25 cookies.
1 cup plain flour (maida)
4 tsp cornflour
3 tbsp powdered sugar
½ tsp cinnamon (dalchini) powder
¼ tsp baking soda
Oil for deep frying
1 tbsp powdered sugar for dusting
1. Combine the plain flour, cornflour, sugar, cinnamon powder and baking soda in a deep bowl and mix well.
2. Add approx. 1 cup of water gradually, mix well and whisk well to make a smooth batter of coating consistency.
3. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan very well.
4. Dip the rose cookie mould in the hot oil. And allow it to heat up for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Remove the rose cookie mould from the oil and dip half mould into the batter taking care that the mould is evenly coated with the batter.
6. Dip the mould again in the hot oil and as the cookie cooks, loosen the cookies slightly using a fork and deep-fry till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
7. Drain on an absorbent paper.
8. Repeat steps 4 to 7 to make 24 more cookies.
9. Just before serving, dust the cookies with the powdered sugar evenly and serve immediately.