No long speeches. No obnoxious music. No fluff. Just a concise demonstration of some stuff I made.
• 1 1/8th cups heavy whipping cream
• 1/3 cup half and half
• 1/3 cup water
• Dash of salt
• Seeds from ½ a vanilla bean
• ½ tbsp. butter
• 2 tbsp sugar-free Monin syrup, caramel preferred
• Several drops of concentrated caramel flavoring (optional, but recommended if you don’t have caramel flavored syrup)
• 4 tbsp erythritol
• 2 eggs
• 2 egg yolks
Preheat oven to 350° F.
1. In a pot, combine cream, half and half, water, salt, and vanilla. Gently bring to a simmer, then remove from heat and leave for at least 15 minutes.
2. In a small pot or saucepan, heat butter until it starts to brown. This is where all of the caramel’s color is coming from. Carefully add your syrup, caramel flavoring, and 2 tbsp of erythritol. Whisk to combine, then immediately pour into four small ramekins. Tilt to spread the sauce around the edges of the ramekin. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, gently whisk together eggs, yolk, and remaining 2 tbsp of erythritol.
4. Slowly add your cream mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly.
5. Carefully pour the cream and egg mix through a strainer.
6. Pour mix into ramekins.
7. Bake in a container that holds water that comes halfway up the side of the ramekins for about 35 minutes, or until the center of the flan just wobbles when you jostle it.
8. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. When you’re ready to serve, slide a knife around the edges of the ramekin and invert on a plate.
**Note:** My oven tends to run high in temperature, and I think that mixed with losing some of my cream mixture produced a sliiiiiiightly uneven texture. If anyone else tries this, let me know how it turns out so we can troubleshoot!
Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 230 calories, 22 g fat, 5.5 g protein, 2.1 g net carbs (14.1 g carbs – 12 g erythritol)