I am making a Frosted Meatloaf covered with fluffy mashed potatoes. So delicious!
2 pounds or 910g ground lean beef
2 pounds or 910g ground pork
4 large eggs
¼ cup or 59mL Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup or 59mL Dijon mustard
1 cup or 42g diced Cilantro
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon or 1g diced Thyme
½ cup or 118mL ketchup
2 tablespoon or 27g packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon or 5mL hot sauce
6 minced garlic cloves
1 stick or 8 tablespoons or 113g unsalted butter
2 tablespoons or 30mL cider vinegar
1 large diced onion
1 cup or 114g crushed saltines crackers
2 cups or 500mL whole milk
2 pounds potatoes
1. Boil the potatoes until tender for about 20 minutes; drain.
a. Mash the potatoes.
b. Mix 1 cup of milk with the potatoes.
c. Add 6 tablespoons of butter.
d. Mix potatoes until fluffy.
2. Prepare the glace by mixing the ketchup, hot sauce, brown sugar, cider vinegar. Put to the side until is time to use.
3. Using 2 tablespoons of the butter, in a frying pan at high temperature, sauté the onions until soft, then add the garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, turn off the stove and place to the side until time to use.
4. TURN THE OVEN TO BROIL TEMPERATURE or the highest temperature.
5. Mix the eggs with the crackers, 1 cup of milk, the cilantro (or parsley), the thyme, Worcestershire sauce, the Dijon mustard, little salt and pepper, add the onion and garlic mixture.
6. Mix the two meats and then add the mixture of the eggs and crackers. Mix well.
7. Form the loaf and place onto a wire rack baking pan.
8. Place the loaf under the broil for 5 minutes
9. Pull the loaf out of the oven and brush the glaze over the loaf. Lower the temperature of the oven to 350ºF or 175ºC.
10. Place the loaf back in to the oven for about 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160ºF.
11. Remove the loaf from the oven.
12. RAISE THE OVEN TEMPERATURE TO BROIL ONCE AGAIN.
13. Cover the loaf with the mash potatoes as shown in the video.
14. Place the loaf covered with the potatoes back into the oven in broil temperature for 5 minutes.
15. Take out of the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes. Transfer to a platter… cut and serve.
SOUNDTRACK: Cuban Sandwich, YouTube Audio Library
eMail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Simple Sunday Afternoons
PO Box 34282
San Juan PR 00934-0282
Re: The Complete Cook’s Country TV Show Cookbook, by The Editors at America’s Test Kitchen (2016); Frosted Meatloaf, pg. 23.