Jalapeno Bacon Scones are packed with flavor. Salty bacon, cheddar cheese, green onions, jalapenos, and buttermilk make these savory scones super delicious. Have one for breakfast or serve them with a salad for lunch or with a bowl of chili for dinner.
These are stick to your bones kind of food. Totally tender, but very filling with all that cheese and bacon.
I think this was my first time making savory scones. I adore sweet scones, especially these Turtle Scones and now I can say the same for savory scones.
Scones are best eaten fresh from the oven, so keep that in mind.
These scones are very similar to biscuits, but a little denser. To keep them tender, be sure to handle the dough as little as possible. Like you would if you were making biscuits.
These Jalapeno Bacon Scones are delightfully buttery with lots of salty goodness and a spicy kick.
Tips for Making Scones:
- You want your butter, buttermilk, and egg to be very cold. I like to cube the butter and place it in the freezer while I measure out the dry ingredinets. Leave the butter milk and egg in the refrigerator until you are ready to use them.
- Only mix the dough until it just comes together. It should be lumpy.
- Be careful not to overbake the scones or they will be dry.
Try these other Jalapeno Baked Goods:
- Jalapeno Beer Bread
- Super Moist Jalapeno Cornbread
Jalapeno Bacon Scones
Jalapeno Bacon Scones are packed with flavor. Salty bacon, cheddar cheese, green onions, jalapenos, and buttermilk make these savory scones super delicious.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and very cold
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, (sliced)
- 10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 jalapeno peppers, 1 diced and 2 sliced
- 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine flour, baking powder, pepper and salt.
With the mixer running, gradually add the cubes of butter, mixing until mixture is crumbly and there are no pieces of butter larger than a small pea.
Add cheddar cheese, mixing just until blended.
Add green onions, bacon, diced jalapeno, and 3/4 cup buttermilk. Mix by hand just until ingredients are incorporated, adding extra buttermilk a little at a time until dough comes together into a ball. Don’t work the dough any more than necessary. The less you handle it, the more tender and light the scones will be.
Place dough on a lightly floured surface and flatten into a circle that is about 1/2-inch thick and 8 inches wide.
Cut dough into 8 wedges and place on prepared baking sheet.
Whisk the egg and water together in a small bowl and brush tops of scones with egg mixture.
Arrange 2 jalapeno slices on top of each scone.
Bake for 20-24 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Disclosure: Nutritional info is provided as an estimate only and can vary based on brands of products used, measuring techniques, and cooking methods.
Recipe Source: The Pastry Queen
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
The post Jalapeno Bacon Scones appeared first on Spicy Southern Kitchen.
Original source: https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/jalapeno-bacon-scones/