Manicotti with Creamed Chicken and Almonds is stuffed with a mixture of diced chicken, spinach and ricotta cheese and topped with a creamy Gruyere cheese sauce and sliced almonds. So rich and delicious and makes a really impressive restaurant quality meal.
What to Serve with Manicotti with Creamed Chicken and Almonds:
- Steamed broccoli or green beans
- A green salad with Creamy Italian Dressing
- Pepperoncini Garlic Bread
- The spinach can be left out but it adds some good nutrition and doesn’t affect the flavor.
- Sauteed mushrooms or finely chopped steamed broccoli can be substituted for the spinach.
- I love the flavor of Gruyere, but it is expensive. Swiss cheese can be used instead, but it is not as flavorful.
- You will need aboout 3 cups of diced cooked chicken for the filling. I like to use rotisserie chicken or cook 2 to 3 chicken breasts in my crock pot.
- The manicotti can be assembled up to 8 hours ahead of time and refrigerated until you are ready to bake it. Add about 5 minutes onto the baking time.
- Diced ham can be substituted for the chicken for an equally delicious meal.
- The filling has 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes for a little spiciness. You can reduce the amount to 1/4 teaspoon or omit altogether if you don’t want it spicy.
- I like the crunch that the almonds give this dish, but they can be left out.
Try These Other Italian Favorites:
- Italian Sausage Manicotti– my favorite manicotti
- Italian Meatloaf– smothered in fontina cheese and tomato sauce
- Creamy Chicken Lasagna– similar to this manicotti, but in lasagna form
- Cajun Shrimp Lasagna Roll-Ups– incredible!
Manicotti with Creamed Chicken and Almonds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed in paper towels to get rid of excess water
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 box manicotti shells, cooked according to package directions.
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
Sprinkle flour over onion mixture. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in the chicken broth. When thickened, whisk in 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
Simmer for 5 minutes
Remove from heat and stir in Gruyere cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add crushed red pepper flakes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, combine chicken, spinach, ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and egg. Stir to mix well. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
Add in 1/2 cup of the sauce. Stir.
Stuff manicotti shells with the chicken mixture. Arrange manicotti in baking dish.
Mix the remaning 1/4 cup of heavy cream into the gruyere sauce and pour over the manicotti.
Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese and the almonds. Cover and bake 25 minutes.
Uncover and bake another 5 minutes.
The post Manicotti with Creamed Chicken and Almonds appeared first on Spicy Southern Kitchen.